New to mutual funds? Need to beef up your knowledge? The Beginner’s Guide to Mutual Funds will help you devise a personalized investment strategy using mutual funds.
The guide is 100% free, and it’s easy to read. There’s no complicated investing jargon; we promise.
Let’s Get Started!
Mutual funds aren’t actually all that complicated. This chapter answers the following questions:
- What are mutual funds?
- How do mutual funds work?
- Why are mutual funds so popular?
- What are the fees and costs of mutual funds?
Index funds are a special type of mutual fund, and many investors love them. In this chapter, you will learn:
- What are index funds?
- Why are index funds so popular?
- Which is better, index funds or actively managed mutual funds?
- What’s the difference between an index fund and an exchange traded fund (ETF)?
Now we’re down to brass tacks. You’d like to invest in a mutual fund or index fund, so what’s the next step? This chapter explains the logistics of making a mutual fund investment:
- How do I buy mutual fund shares?
- Do I need a financial advisor to invest in mutual funds, or can I do this myself?
- Should I invest using my 401(k) or IRA account, or should I start a new account?
Building a personalized investment portfolio using mutual funds can be as simple or complex as you want. We prefer the simple route.
- How can I beat the market?
- What asset classes should I include in my portfolio?
- Which portfolio model is best for me?
- What are retirement target date funds, and are they right for me?
The above four chapters should help you get on your way to a successful fund investment strategy. Beyond this guide, you should check out the following highly recommended articles, Web tools, and books.
Articles and Tutorials for Mutual Fund Investors
- Stop Deluding Yourself About Investing Expenses. The Wall Street Journal.
- The Invisible and Brutal Cost of Using a Financial Advisor. The Motley Fool.
- 10 Reasons Brokers Don’t Like Index Funds. PaulMerriman.com.
- Lazy portfolios. Bogleheads.
- The Rick Ferri 60/40 Portfolio. A Wealth of Common Sense.
- Bill Schultheis’ Coffeehouse Portfolio. The Coffeehouse Investor.
- Roth IRA vs. 401(k)? You May Not Have to Choose. The Simple Dollar.
- Roth IRA vs. Traditional IRA: A Guide for Wise Investors. Cash Cow Couple.
Picking the Best Mutual Funds
- Top 50 Mutual Funds in the World. Fund Reference.
- The Best Mutual Funds. U.S. News.
- How to Pick an Index Fund. Get Rich Slowly.
Websites and Communities for Fund Investors
- Bogleheads Wiki
- Mutual Fund Observer
Free Web Tools for Fund Investors
- Fund Reference Database of Mutual Funds
- Yahoo! Finance Fund Screener
- MAXfunds Fund-O-Matic
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- The Little Book of Common Sense Investing by John C. Bogle
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore et al.